Mechanical Design Engineer
Permanent – Fareham
Stream resourcing are currently working with a world leader in specialist electronics solutions. We are currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to join their team. In this role you will be responsible for all direct and indirect activities relating to the investigation, design and modification of mechanical designs to ensure product reliability, as part of the Engineering Reliability Team.
* Take ownership for the mechanical design of assigned products to ensure that they meet the company reliability standards.
* Ability to analyse a problem, identify possible ways forward and to deliver the right business solution, with minimum supervision, ensuring selection of appropriate methods and technologies.
* Identify Risks & mitigation plans, actively following through on mitigation actions.
* Contribute to the mechanical development strategy and architecture of future products, striving for reduced cost and increased reliability.
* Liaise with design originators to capture original design intent and methodologies of the design including history of decisions adopted.
* Utilisation of Root cause Analysis techniques.
* Identification of appropriate design changes / redesign activities to solve the problem at hand.
* Implementation of appropriate company processes and best practices to approve and implement the changes in the most efficient manner.
* Identify opportunities to reduce product costs without impacting quality and performance.
* Provide support to supply Chain Team with obsolescence issues.
* Provide feedback to the internal PLG, Design and product Support teams on findings and progress of allocated tasks.
* Roll out lessons learnt from the failure analysis undertaken to the mechanical team and wider department functions as part of a continuous improvement programme.
* Maintain close liaison with manufacturing partners to ensure all designs are fit for purpose / DFM.
* Continuously develop personal mechanical skills, product knowledge, development and understanding of common design reliability tools.
* Liaison and communication – maintain strong departmental and inter-departmental communications.
* Keep abreast of emerging technologies, technical innovations, technical obsolescence, changes in design practices and up to date tools.
* Strong experience of SolidWorks
* Injection Moulding
* Excellent communication and listening skills, team player
* Knowledge of Material properties
* Knowledge of Manufacturing methods
* Strong drive to close issues, to obtain the best combined solution
* Full driving licence
* 6 Sigma Appreciation
* Experience of Vendor / EMS discussions
* Sand / Die Casting
* Enclosure Design
* Knowledge of Design For Manufacture & Lean Manufacturing Techniques
* Knowledge of Reliability tools
* 37.5 hours per week (potential up to 40 hours)
* Remote working until w/b 6th September, at which point will be onsite a minimum of 3-days per week.
stream is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.