Principal Engineer – Shock, Structures and Dynamics — Permanent — Bristol — Competitive Salary and Benefits
Would you like to play a pivotal role in the development and acceptance of submarine combat systems? We currently have a vacancy for a Principal Engineer, based in Bristol, specialising in Structures & Externally Generated Vibration (EGV).
As a Principal Engineer, you will be carrying out a variety of requirements and acceptance activities relating to the design and development of submarine combat systems. Working within the Shock, Structures and EGV team, you will liaise with project stakeholders, suppliers, engineering teams, and the Ministry of Defence to ensure that needs and expectations are met.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to work across a number of different phases of the product lifecycle, as well as the chance to move onto other fantastic submarine programmes in the future.
* Decompose the Dreadnought Whole Boat shock requirements (e.g. policies, general technical requirements, etc.)
* Generate derived requirements for technical specifications requests for suppliers
* Interact with suppliers in in order to review tender compliance and manage delivery expectations with respect to the level of shock qualification evidence.
* Working with the Combat Systems engineering teams and reviewing technical documentation that they have produced
* Review, develop and approve supplier submitted physical test plans and procedures followed by review and acceptance of the test results.
* Review and acceptance of supplier Shock and EGV qualification evidence encompassing classical manual stress calculations, Finite Element Analysis reports and physical test reports.
* Presentation and delivery of Combat Systems equipment Shock and EGV qualification evidence to the customer.
Desired skills/experience and qualifications:
* Experience of structural engineering and analysis techniques, specifically classical manual stress calculations and various Finite Element Analysis techniques and interpretations of the output.
* Competent in the use of a mathematical package such as Mathcad, Mathematica, etc.
* Experience of the development and management of technical requirements and acceptance activities within one of the following areas: submarine, defence, construction, ships or similar environment.
* Degree or equivalent qualification or experience within a relevant engineering discipline.
* Experience in the design of equipment for submarines/surface ships and/or experience in producing shock qualification evidence (hand calculations, Finite Element Analyses) of equipment for submarines/surface ships
stream is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.