Would you like to play a part in the development of future engineering solutions and upgrades for in-service Naval Ships? Our client, a worldleader in the Defence indsutry, currently have a vacancy for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the naval Engineering Projects Group (EPG) at their site in Portsmouth.
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will work across the breadth of the engineering design lifecycle to support the surface ship fleet. You will be responsible for providing professional mechanical engineering services to meet the future operational needs of naval platforms, the Engineering Services business and customer programmes.
This role will provide exposure to engineering systems across a wide range of naval craft including the Type 45 Destroyer, QEC Carrier, Offshore Patrol Vessel and T23 Frigate.
Your skills and qualifications:
* A degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering
* A Chartered engineer, or evidence of recent progression towards Chartership
* Proven track record in the design definition of marine systems
* Knowledge of the systems engineering lifecycle and an ability to apply good systems engineering practices to your work
* An awareness of marine engineering codes and standards, and their application in the design of systems and specification of equipment
* 10 years+ experience in the design of naval marine power & propulsion, and auxiliary systems
* Experience of delivering feasibility and concept-level studies for future modifications
* An awareness of the operational requirements specific to naval ships, and the design intent of their systems.
* Familiarity with engineering analysis workflows and processes
* Experience in the technical leadership of junior engineers across bid and project delivery
*Due to the nature of the work, you must be SC cleared / clearable to apply for this role*
stream is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.