The Senior / Principal firmware engineer would be responsible for design and development of Firmware designs using VHDL and verifying designs using VHDL or System Verilog.
The firmware engineer would work closely with Systems, Hardware and Software teams to provide firmware solutions and solve integration problems on complex systems.
* Creating innovative and robust VHDL-based designs
* Documenting and recording deliverables
* Verifying firmware designs
* Ensuring configuration management/keeping designs under revision control
* Providing progress reports
Skills, Qualifications and Experience required:
* Degree or equivalent in Electronics Engineering or another STEM-based subject
* At least 5 years’ experience of developing firmware using VHDL or Verilog
* Experienced with Mentor Graphics FPGA development tools including HDL Designer, ModelSim / Questa and Precision
* Familiar with Xilinx / Intel (Altera) / Microsemi (Actel) ISE design flow and third-party synthesis tools
* Ability to analyse system and / or hardware level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements
* De-bugging firmware designs and supporting integration & verification at hardware
and system level
* A good understanding of firmware version control and revision control software
* Ability to coordinate day to day technical activities, liaising closely with the Project Engineering Lead / Lead firmware engineer & other disciplines
* Excellent communication (oral & written) & interpersonal skills
* Experience in writing technical reports/ documentation
* Development of real-time, embedded, safety-critical firmware, preferably in accordance with RTCA/DO-254 DAL A or B
* Experience of firmware requirements capture and requirements management tools
* Relevant experience in the Aerospace or Defence industry
* Experience of embedded processor cores (e.g. ARM) in FPGA designs
* Independent verification using VHDL or SystemVerilog / UVM
* 2:1 honours degree or better in Electronics Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics
* UK/ EU citizenship is mandatory to be able to clear the background checks and obtain SC clearance
* Current valid SC clearance would be an advantage
The role will be based at one of our customer’s sites in Southampton. Depending on the customer’s requirements, the individual could find themselves working on a variety of defence-related projects, particularly in the airborne environment.
stream is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.